Monday 6 June 2016

'He was my hero': Former boxer Liam Neeson shares touching story of how he told the late great Muhammad Ali 'I love you'

By SHYAM DODGE FOR BE INFORMED

PUBLISHED: 07:56 GMT, 6 June 2016 | UPDATED: 09:03 GMT, 6 June 2016

'I love you,' are the words Liam Neeson first told his childhood hero.

The now 63-year-old movie star, who once moonlighted as an amateur boxer, recalled in an interview with Irish Central how he met the late Muhammad Ali, who passed away on Friday at age 74.

It was 1981 when the Taken star first encountered the boxing legend right before his bout with Trevor Berbick in the Bahamas, which would be the heavyweight's final fight.
Liam Neeson recalled in an interview with Irish Central how he met the late Muhammad Ali, who passed away on Friday at age 74
His hero: Liam Neeson, who once moonlighted as an amateur boxer, recalled in an interview with Irish Central how he met the late Muhammad Ali, who passed away on Friday at age 74 (pictured in 2009)
'I got to meet him before he had his last fight in 1981,'  Neeson recealled. 'Not knowing what to say and with my knees shaking, I said "Muhammad, I love you."

'He gave me a hug and then signed an autograph for my father.'

The actor went on to reminisce about another meeting he had the legend.

Fond memories: Neeson recalled meeting Ali and his wife Lonnie in 2011 (pictured here in 2010 in Toronto, Canada)
Fond memories: Neeson recalled meeting Ali and his wife Lonnie in 2011 (pictured here in 2010 in Toronto, Canada)
'I met him again in 2011. He was unable to speak with his advanced Parkinson's. I put my hand over his and whispered "I love you." His wife said to me, "He knows who you are."

'He was a giant of humanity,' the actor concluded. 'As a people, we are all in bereavement.'

Neeson enjoyed a brief stint as an amateur boxer in Ireland before going on to become one the world's most recognisable film stars.
'I got to meet him before he had his last fight in 1981,' Neeson recealled. 'Not knowing what to say and with my knees shaking, I said "Muhammad, I love you."'
'I got to meet him before he had his last fight in 1981,' Neeson recealled. 'Not knowing what to say and with my knees shaking, I said "Muhammad, I love you."'
A swarm of 15,000 bees gathered near a memorial for Mohammad Ali in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky


1 comment:

  1. I loved him too! And Liam seems to be a good man and not the raving racist some people have attempted to paint him as! I've been a fan since his Dark Man days! God bless you as well Mr. Neeson

    ReplyDelete