Wednesday 18 May 2016

'I was in nurse mode - I don't think you ever shut that off': Hero off-duty nurse who saved stabbed builder by giving him CPR in the street says she was just doing what she'd have done on the wards

41-year-old man found dying on the pavement after daylight Bristol attack
. Pounced upon by off-duty nurse who started given him emergency CPR
. Heroic woman pumped away at his heart and brought him back to life
. Cared for him for a full five minutes before he was rushed to hospital
. Insists what she did was not heroic but purely her instinct as a nurse

. Victim remains in an induced coma following Monday evening stabbing 

By EUAN MCLELLAND FOR BE INFORMED ONLINE
PUBLISHED: 08:18 GMT, 18 May 2016 | UPDATED: 16:21 GMT, 18 May 2016

Nurse Abigail Bamber, 26, saved a stranger's life after he was stabbed in the street. But far from considering herself a hero, she has said she 'was in nurse mode - and nurses never switch off'
Nurse Abigail Bamber, 26, saved a stranger's life after he was stabbed in the street. But far from considering herself a hero, she has said she 'was in nurse mode - and nurses never switch off'
The heroic off-duty nurse who saved the life of a man stabbed in the street has admitted she did not even have to think about coming to his aid - as she 'was in nurse mode and you don't ever shut that off'.
Abigail Bamber, 26, was driving back from a day out shopping in Bristol city centre when she saw a man stumbling across the road.
The staff nurse - who was enjoying a day off for her 26th birthday, which she had celebrated just two days earlier - got her friend to pull over as the man collapsed to the ground.
After discovering he wasn't breathing, she immediately began CPR.
Video footage recorded by a passer-by shows her pounding on the dying man's chest, desperately trying to keep him alive as his life ebbed away.
Her selfless actions paid off - as the blood-soaked victim started breathing again and survived as a direct result of her actions.
Paramedics arrived five minutes later and took the 41-year-old - who is still in a critical condition - to hospital.
But Abigail, a nurse on a surgical ward at Bristol's Southmead Hospital, dismissed suggestions she was a hero - insisting she 'just went into nurse mode'.
Speaking from the ward where she works today, she said: 'When things like that happen, you immediately go into nurse mode.
'I can't speak for everyone, but I think you are a nurse, or you are not. I like to think it just comes a bit naturally in a way.
'I didn't look at it as I was being a hero. I just saw a man needed my help. If he was on my ward I would do the exact same thing for him.
'I was in nurse mode. I don't think you ever shut that off. I think most nurses go into nursing because it is a vocation - not a job.'
Abigail, from Bristol, has been hailed as a genuine hero for her courageous efforts.
The short clip of her saving the man's life first came to light this morning and has since been shared thousands of times online.
She believes she was just the right person, in the right place, at the right time.

Abigail said: 'Basically I noticed from a distance that he looked a bit distressed and as I got closer I could see that he was bleeding.
'I got my friend to pull over. I walked over to see if there was anything I could do. I noticed that obviously he was not in a very good way.
'By the time I got there he was already on the floor.
'He wasn't very well so as soon as I possibly could I started administering CPR. It all then went into a blur really.

'I checked for his pulse and his airways and things like that and started chest compressions. I can't remember how long I did it for. I stopped when the ambulance team got there.
'They took over and started doing their bit. I could see he was breathing but I didn't know anything else as I went to wash my hands.
'They took over and shortly after he went into an ambulance and got blue lighted up to Southmead Hospital.
'I waited around for a little bit to see if there was anything the police wanted to say or do, but I went home. I went to bed not too long afterwards because I felt absolutely exhausted. I think because my adrenaline was going I was on a bit of a comedown.

The staff nurse - who was enjoying a day off for her 26th birthday, which she had celebrated just two days earlier - got her friend to pull over as the man collapsed to the ground. After discovering he wasn't breathing, she immediately began CPR 
The staff nurse - who was enjoying a day off for her 26th birthday, which she had celebrated just two days earlier - got her friend to pull over as the man collapsed to the ground. After discovering he wasn't breathing, she immediately began CPR 
Video footage recorded by a passer-by shows her pounding on the dying man's chest, desperately trying to keep him alive as his life ebbed away 
Video footage recorded by a passer-by shows her pounding on the dying man's chest, desperately trying to keep him alive as his life ebbed away
Her selfless actions paid off - as the blood-soaked victim started breathing again and survived as a direct result of her actions
Her selfless actions paid off - as the blood-soaked victim started breathing again and survived as a direct result of her actions
He was rushed in a life-threatening condition to Southmead Hospital, Bristol, following the altercation and remains in a critical but stable condition, police said
He was rushed in a life-threatening condition to Southmead Hospital, Bristol, following the altercation and remains in a critical but stable condition, police said
'I came into work today and I didn't know what had happened until then.'
Abigail worked in retail for several months after school before doing a degree in nursing at University of the West of England.
She has been working in healthcare for North Bristol NHS Trust for seven years, and has been a qualified nurse for around three years.
The man whose life she saved was rushed to Southmead Hospital, Bristol, in a life-threatening condition following Monday evening's altercation.

Abigail, from Bristol, has been hailed as a genuine hero for her courageous efforts. The short clip of her saving the man's life first came to light this morning and has since been shared thousands of times online
Abigail, from Bristol, has been hailed as a genuine hero for her courageous efforts. The short clip of her saving the man's life first came to light this morning and has since been shared thousands of times online
He is currently in hospital in an induced coma.
The man who filmed the scene in Easton, Bristol - who asked not to be named - said: 'I didn't see the stabbing. We were driving past at the time.
'The man was walking around in the middle of the road and he collapsed.
'No one wanted to help at all but she helped within seconds. He was passing away but she kept it up.
'I don't know how he is getting on now but he would have died if she wasn't there.
'Everyone was doing their job so no one said anything to her, not even a thank you. ' 
Albanian national Kozma Dhaskali, 32, appeared at Bristol Magistrates Court today charged with attempted murder.
Using a translator, he admitted stabbing the man but denied trying to kill him.
Dhaskali's defence solicitor, Nicola Hutchinson, made no application for bail.
Jeremy Oliver, prosecuting, said in court that given the seriousness of the crime Dhaskali should not be bailed.
The incident occurred at Dhaskali's home where the victim had been visiting, the court was told.

Readers Also Searched For:









No comments:

Post a Comment